Remembering Graham Budge – the Evergreen International

Aidan Taylor shares his research on Scotland International, Graham Budge…

When researching capped players for my local magazine (East Lothian Life) I discovered that some had served King and Country, others played for the British Lions. But only one combined both.

In Scotland shirt

The name Graham Budge isn’t well known even in the Scottish rugby community but for a brief spell he stood out as one of the best tighthead props in the game after the war. The surname comes from a great-grandfather who came from the Orkneys and settled in Leith, Edinburgh possibly in the 1840s. Descendants farmed in Berwickshire and Graham’s father Walter decided to leave the farm near Duns to sail to the new world, spending the period 1911-14 farming in Manitoba, Canada. This classic prairie country is central to the Canadian immigration story as families headed west to try out a new life in the unforgiving bare land. Summers were hot and winters unbearably harsh; Walter married a local girl half his age with County Durham roots and in November 1920, Graham Morris Budge was born, the eldest of three sons.

Home was the remote township of Hamiota which, like so many others, grew up near the railroad in this case north-west of the major town Brandon. He played ice hockey, baseball and apparently never lost his accent which must have been interesting when in a Scottish jersey. The family left in late 1930 and lived in the village of Reston, Berwickshire. Schooled at Burnmouth Primary and Dunbar Grammar (a football school), Graham took up rugby at 15, beginning with the local team Dunbar RFC (still going in the SRU’s East 2 league). The family were poultry farmers at Thorntonloch, now partly covered by Torness nuclear power station, and Graham was always called the Thorntonloch farmer in newspaper reports.

When WW2 broke out he was a GPO Engineer – perhaps a reserved occupation – but at 22 decided the Black Watch was for him and applied for an Emergency Commission in one of the Army’s most feared regiments. Joining the 6th (TA) Battalion in the summer of 1943 he was thrust straight into North Africa. Arriving after the Tunisia campaign he trained in amphibious landings in Egypt and squeezed in an appearance for Western Command rugby who beat North Wales in Llandudno. He returned and sailed to Naples and Monte Cassino, a location worthy of Great War infamousy where the town and abbey had been flattened. The battalion’s fatality rate was one in six and in the advance to Rome hand to hand fighting, town by town, was needed. By now Acting Captain, he and his men were sent to quell a potential civil war in Greece before the battalion was disbanded in June 1946. Graham spent the next three years in BAOR doing staff jobs including PTI with 16th Para Brigade and time in London. His corner of Germany was also heavily involved in the Berlin Airlift.

VE Day Greece

VE Day in Greece

During 1945 he attracted the attention of rugby authorities, helping to organise (and no doubt playing in) matches with the 8th Army (fighting Kiwis) and the 6th South African Armoured Division. His fellow organiser was Captain Robin Prescott who, as a Harlequin, had played for England pre-war. There were also matches for the Army v RAF in Naples and Central Mediterranean Forces (one of many games for them) v 2nd New Zealand Division in Florence. He also represented the Army at Bristol and Murrayfield (vs Rest of Scotland). Leaving the Army in 1949 ambitions for a Scottish cap were restricted in a country where FP (Former Pupil) status meant all unless one was a Borderer. There were few opportunities; the best was joining Edinburgh Wanderers, a regular supplier of capped players, and who played on the back pitches at Murrayfield. His experience with Dunbar and Army rugby now helped – after just 12 games (at most) he was called up for the unofficial trial, the Inter-City Glasgow v Edinburgh match held in Glasgow each December. At Old Anniesland the visitors won 8-0 and two national trials followed. Graham was in the ‘home’ team which lost both games but it didn’t affect his chances and in the 1950 Five Nations he played all four times. Headlines were made when the Scots made a winning start against France. With seven debutants the hosts won 8-5 with Graham scoring the second try. Following defeats in Cardiff and Dublin the Calcutta Cup was won 13-11. After the Wales game Graham was announced in the Lions squad to tour New Zealand and Australia that summer and by season’s end had become a Barbarian in the East Midlands match at Franklin’s Gardens.

Budge 1950

Budge (right) in 1950

The Lions tour was the first down under for twenty years and Graham played in 14 games including the last heroic test (11-8 to the All Blacks at Eden Park). The last Lions to travel by sea and the first to wear the red jersey, Graham was in the tour opener at historic Nelson. They remain popular visitors to this day and only suffered two mid-week defeats early in the tour. After six months away the party returned but Graham caught several bouts of flu thus reducing his fitness and effectiveness. A debut for the Co-Optimists (first of four that season) was followed by all three trials but despite winning twice was only a travelling reserve to Paris. His last act in Scottish rugby was to help Wanderers make the semi-finals of Jedforest Sevens before a new life beckoned in Canada in the late summer of 1951. He then became a successful Realtor (real estate dealer) and played for British Columbia (BC) against the touring All Blacks, a combined Oxford/Cambridge University side and at the age of 36 the Barbarians. In 1954 he also toured California with the Canadian All-Stars and represented California on their tour of New Zealand! Playing a major role in Canadian rugby (he was BC President for two years in the 1960s), there were tours to organise such as Canada to the UK (1962), BC to Japan (1970) and several incoming ones. The highlights of these were the visits of Australia, Japan, New Zealand, Wales and Scotland. Even the Lions stopped over a couple of times.

Lions shirt

In demand from local clubs upon arrival, he joined Vancouver Rowing Club at picturesque Brockton Oval and at 51 set up an over-40s team that toured the USA, Japan and other countries. Later called The Evergreens, they are still playing today. At one such training session he sadly died with ball in hand just a week after his 59th birthday. The tree planted in his honour is a good size now.

Graham was an achiever; President of the Real Estate Board of Vancouver he was also the Bowen Island rep on the Greater Vancouver Regional District Board for two years and evidently a major figure in Vancouver social circles. If that wasn’t enough he was also a musician and singer with dance bands. The clarinet – which had lain dormant since WW2 – was also dusted off as well as a saxophone. Dates were booked up to Spring 1980. He was also a keen on basketball in his Dunbar days and liked wrestling with a view to the 1952 British Olympic team.

Graham Budge must have been a fearless and demanding competitor, as befits someone that commanded Black Watch soldiers and survived the hell of Monte Cassino. In an era when forwards did what forwards did, and backs ran with the ball, his mobility and try-scoring were often commented upon decades before others did the same. Scrums and rucks were often a case of ‘look after yourself’. At 17 stone he was big for the era but I think would have held his own in the modern era. His solidity was perfect for the coalface and he had a positive effect. Wanderers for instance only won 14 times the season before his arrival. With him in the front row that increased to 22 but after the Lions tour and bouts of flu (he missed much of the autumn) victories were down to 13, and points scored on average were down by four per game.

Without the advantages of education at a fee-paying school earning a trial and cap was hard-won and done off his own back. He didn’t have the right accent or school tie in an era when that was vital, but instead was a heavyweight war veteran that must have tackled like thunder, useful in the ‘anything goes’ world of New Zealand rucking for instance. He was a typical character of his time, who served in the war and got on with things afterwards. Definitely one to have on your side, not against.

About the Author – Aidan Taylor lives in Dunbar and is married, with one child. His rugby passions are anything Cornish and Scottish history and his rugby library consists of mainly Scottish books and books/programmes involving the Cornwall team. He is a member of the Edinburgh Referee Society. After 18 years in HM Forces he is now a childminder.

Images supplied by author.

Visit our website and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Buy Twickenham Stadium Tour and World Rugby Museum gift vouchers.

This entry was posted in Countries, International Players, Scotland, Services. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Remembering Graham Budge – the Evergreen International

  1. keithgregson says:

    What a fascinating piece of research and what a fascinating character. A life well lived.


  2. Lawrence Denis Freitas says:

    Graham Budge played in the now defunct Monterey Rugby Tournament in one of its early years, one of the years in which it was played at Fort Ord, with the Vancouver Rowing Club, and wore his Lions blazer at one of the tournament’s social events, leaving quite an impression! Later in time, he may have played for the British Columbia Evergreens, the over-40’s side he helped organize, against the California Bald Eagles, in 1978 at that year’s tournament. That match is notable because Rudy Scholz, USA rugby Olympian gold medal winner in 1920 and 1924, then in his early 80’s, played for the over-40’s Bald Eagles in that game, making a cameo appearance and undoubtedly wearing red shorts, in what would be his last appearance on the pitch as a player, and just a few years before he passed. After the Monterey Rugby Tournament ceased to exist in the early 1990’s, the British Columbia Evergreens, also known as the Vancouver Evergreens, made an annual trip to the Monterey Peninsula in mid March, about the time that the Monterey Tournament was held from 1959 until 1983 (from 1984 until the last the tournament, it was held either the last weekend in April or the first weekend in May). There would be a match against the Bald Eagles, usually held at the York School, an Episcopal private high school in Laguna Seca, not far from the famous auto race track. I participated a few times myself, playing for the Bald Eagles. That tradition survived until 2002, when the game was relocated to San Francisco’s Balboa Field, the Evergreens deciding to spend a March weekend in The City instead of Monterey or Carmel.
    Unfortunately, the Bald Eagles stopped their yearly visits to Central California a few years later. In turn the Bald Eagles have had a Memorial Weekend tour to Vancouver at the end of May for many years, playing the over-40’s Greyhounds of the Rowing Club at Brockton Oval near the Vancouver Rowing Club on the water’s edge at the yacht harbor on Stanley Park Island, and Meraloma Club’s Legends at their home ground, Connaught Park in West Vancouver. In the Legend’s clubhouse at the park, a log cabin type structure just a short distance from the pitch, are some photos on the wall from one of those earlier Monterey Tournanments held at Carmel Middle School, before it was switched to the tournament’s last venue from 1970 to its end over twenty years later: Collins Polo Field in Pebble Beach.
    Can anyone confirm if Budge played in that 1978 over-40’s match at Monterey? I have checked the Rowing Club and Evergreen’s web sites and found nothing. Another interesting bit of history is that Fort Ord, since the US Army closed the base in the early 90’s, is the location of California State University Monterey Bay, home of the Sea Otters men’s and women’s rugby club, which has one of the best rugby pitches in America, on what was once the army base’s baseball field, where a young African-American lieutenant by the name of Jackie Robinson played while stationed at the base during World War Two.

    Liked by 1 person

  3. keithgregson says:

    Fascinating stuff! Was in Vancouver recently on the way back from Hawaii and went past the area where some of my Shetland ancestors moved in the early part of the last century. The history of rugby in North America is really interesting – in particular the potential demise of (American) Football at the expense of rugby in the very early 20th century as a result of the number of deaths and injuries due to Football at college level. There is at least one informative medical report on Football and brain injury at that time. I believe a change in the laws saved the sport – and allowed the legendary Jackie Robinson to thrive later. Keep well and keep safe.


  4. Lawrence Denis Freitas says:

    Yes, the forward pass in American Football basically saved that sport. It was allowed by the early 20th century, if thrown from behind the “line of scrimmage.” Unfortunately, though rugby had really taken a hold in California by the second decade of the 20th century, the University of California and nearby St. Mary’s College decided to switch back to American football for the fall 1915 season. I believe that had more to do with rugby’s demise that anything else at the time, as that was two major clubs on any San Francisco Bay Area or Northern California club’s schedule then that went missing, and there weren’t really all that many of them: a handful of adult age clubs centered around San Francisco, and universities such as Stanford, Santa Clara, Cal Davis Agriculture, and University of Nevada Reno. Most high schools were playing rugby at that time, but as a Santa Clara High School student’s death in 1905 prompted school sports administrators to switch to the British sport the following year, the death of a Hollister High School student in 1917 didn’t help rugby’s stature as the major fall sport, and by the next year American football returned to its former place. Xenophobia played its part too, following America’s entry into the Great War. Why play a foreign sport? Anyway, I totally discount the conspiracy theory that New Zealand’s thrashing of Bay Area teams in the fall of 1913 had anything to do with rugby’s eventual demise in California.
    Rugby stayed strongly popular for four years after that, and major matches attracted crowds of
    twenty thousand and more, such as when Stanford and Santa Clara played in November of 1916 in San Francisco.
    Regarding Jackie Robinson, the fact that he played baseball at the old Fort Ord field, now known as the Recreation Field at the very north end of the CSUMB campus, came to my knowledge only this past fall, when the former rugby coach of CSUMB and now current president of the Northern California Rugby Union told me: Rick Humm, a former team mate of mine on the Santa Cruz Rebels. Robinson, though born in the state of Georgia, spent his teen years in Pasadena, near Los Angeles, and was a star on the UCLA football team in the late 1930’s. If rugby hadn’t died out in California some twenty years sooner it is conceivable that Robinson could have been a great rugby star! Peter Dawkins, a star football player at the United States Military Academy in the late 1950’s, certainly stood out on the rugby pitch when at Oxford on a Rhodes Scholarship, playing on the wing and earning a Blue in three Varsity Matches and popularizing the “Torpedo Pass” in line out throw-ins.
    I personally never met Graham Budge, and I didn’t go to the Monterey Rugby Tournament in 1978, a gap year, so to speak, in my rugby “career” after graduating from Santa Clara a few years earlier. Since he helped start the Evergreens just a year before, it stands to reason he’d have made the trip down the coast, but I am not sure about that, though I do know about his appearance at one of the very early tournaments in Monterey, as that story was written up by one of the tournament’s founders, the late Paul Andrew in a tournament program in the late 1980’s. Budge was to die just a year and a half after that over-40’s match, and it made the news in a few of the rugby publications in America at the time, for he was well known in American rugby circles as well as Canadian. It was afterwards that I heard that the great Rudy Scholz was there at the Collins Polo Fields in Pebble Beach and played for some ten minutes or so in this over-40’s match. I did meet him when he attended a few of the Santa Clara home matches in 1974, and he had bought our jerseys that year as well. I recall chatting with him about what rugby was like in the Teens of the 20th Century in California. He was no more than 5’4″ at that time in his life, his late 70’s. A few years later his 1920 Gold Medal had been donated to Santa Clara University, and it’s on display at the Leavey Center.


  5. Ali says:

    He’s was my grandfather


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s